Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Young Herding

I have never understood the appeal of books. Personally I have never enjoyed reading and don't know why people do. I suppose its just something used for entertainment. Some people watch movies, play sports, play video games, and others read books. So what exactly is the appeal of reading a book? Do you get involved with the characters, putting yourself into the story? Do you just like hearing the stories? Is it to further your vocab and literature skill? I really have no idea. I guess this is more of a polling post then a cultural inference. When i was younger i used to have to do A.R. which stood for like acedemic reader or something like that. But basically i was required to read so many books in each quarter and i hated it. However, some people already liked reading books so they would have like triple the required amount by the time the quarter was over. Actually a lot of school is like this. We have required classes and why? Shouldn't the student get to choose what he wants to learn about? Shouldn't it be what interests him? Instead we are forced to take certain classes that we may hate which could greatly affect how we do in school and ultimately life. Is this fair? What do you think?

1 comment:

Robin said...

I personally love to read.I have read 1000's of books in my life and its the one thing I will never give up for any reason. I have learned so much from books things about different countries, people, space, history. Every time I meet someone who does not like to read I say they just have not found the right book yet.
If you get an A.A.S degree you only study the area of your interest. Its the A.A that is the general degree. You need the studies that teach you about different things you might encounter in your life. To be able to make wiser decisions. Not just the one thing you will use for employment.