Wednesday, March 11, 2009


Edward Cullen. I was online when and advertisement for the release of "Twilight" to DVD popped up and Prince Charming himself graced the front of the ad. Instantly I found myself thinking "Ohhh Edward." (inward smile). I'll admit it, I definitely have a crush on the character but would like to make it clear that I am in no way one of those fanatics, follow the actor around to get a lock of his hair types. But I admire the character, and I have a crush.


But then it occurred to me, how unrealistic am I being? I have this crush on a character who doesn't even exist, Noah too, from "The Notebook" is another popular dream man. But honestly, what's the point? And then I got to thinking, how many times have we heard a girl sigh "If only my boyfriend/husband/significant other would be like "Edward Cullen"...." and then I started to feel bad for the guys. Girls are funny, and what started out as a simple T.V. crush seeps its way into our reality and then we begin to have unrealistic expectations of our man. While women should hold men to a high standard we cannot let Edward or Noah stand in the way. It's like when men dream about having a 6'8 110 pound model on their arm, eventually they'll quit dreaming when they see the world around them is full of us non-model type. It's harder to see that men won't ever turn into a love-sick vampire for whatever reason.

I personally feel women have a harder time letting go of this fantasy and it can be harmful. How alarming/ dangerous is it the more fiction slips into our reality? When is too much enough and can anything be done about it or is it a phenomenon to be overlooked?

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Thank you! (ha) I definitely agree with a lot of what your saying here. And i know a lot of girls feel the same way you do about Edward by the way. I didn't read the books personally but the movie... i would (cautiously) say not very impressive. Anyway, the comments you made about woman getting wrapped up in fantasy are very good concerns. I can't speak for women, but it seems like they might have high expectations about how a guy could or should present himself? If a woman is always expecting and looking for that perfectly romantic guy isn't she bound to be let down? What kind of effect does that have on a relationship as a whole? I don't blame women for having these expectations, I mean men have expectations of there own but its definitely a intriguing topic.

Jennifer said...

I don't know? Everyone has expectations about what they want their dream spouse to be. I'm not sure if holding them up to a character in a movie is really what most people do. Sure there are several actors and characters that I find intriguing, but I have never held my husband to those axpectations. My husband is reality and actors and the characters that they portray are fantasy.

Melissa said...

This is a very good point and I would have to agree. It is because of these standards that many people dont seem to be happy with their relationships because they are constantly comparing their partner with someone else; it just goes to show how much the media has changed our opinions of a perfect mate. This could also explain the incredibly high divorce rates in America as well.