Sunday, March 1, 2009

Age Barriers: Chill vs. Creepster

http://www.bagofnothing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/cowbell.jpg
Over the weekend I caught a concert in which one of my old buddies that is still in high school was headlining. Having just graduated last year myself I still have a bunch of friends that were lower-classmen from my days in school, I hung out with them and had a good time catching up. It had crossed my mind a few times that aside from a few parents and people operating the venue that it was a purely high school scene and that I was a little out of place. I didn't give it too much more thought however, good music and good friends will remedy any social qualms. Yet something was still off about the crowd and as I payed more attention I became aware of this guy (who ended up being a couple years older than myself) who seemed a bit nervous. skiddish even, who would work his way methodically through the crowd shaking hands and introducing himself. I kept an eye on him all night and when it came my turn to bear the brunt of small talk I grilled him on who he was and what his story was and what he was all about. Needless to say he was sufficiently awkward, it turned out he was fairly new in town and seemed like he was just making friends. And perhaps in rash judgement on my own part I condemned him in my mind to be some monster or pedophile that was preying on these young kids (afterall Spokane is good for two things: Meth and Child Molesters).

Long story short I want to know your opinions on this, was that a fair accusation from my part? Or should I have given this guy the benefit of the doubt? And if this guy who was 25 was too old to watch a few high schoolers make some music then what age is the cut off? Going off that line, would my position be acceptable?

5 comments:

missaligirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
missaligirl said...

I’m 24. I don't regularly hang out with high school kids, but I would hope that they wouldn't find me creepy if we were in the same situation. Granted I am a girl so I think it might be a little more acceptable then a 25 year old guy hanging out with high school kids. Maybe he was unsure about the age of these kids. Did he really look that much older? I feel like a minority out here at the falls because most of my classmates are 4-6 years younger than me. Most are shocked to find out how old I am. It's weird how one year (17 vs. 18) makes the difference between creepster vs. chill. It’s ok for me to have friends that are 18, (and I do have a few), but if a 24 year old was hanging out with a 17 year old, I bet the parents would have something to say about it.

jordanrichelle said...

Interesting story. It's funny though, how we had two different original thoughts on the guy. My first thoughts were quick to jump to "he must have some form of Autism." Because I have a friend who has a form of it and that's what he did too. Maybe I should be more on the alert for creepers but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe they are all good intentioned. This is most definitely not always the case. I don't think you were out of line; especially if you were watching out for your lady friends. It's when you jump a guy and push him accusing him of being a creeper without warrant that you cross the line.

Hannah said...

I dont see anything wrong with being aware of somone that may acting out of the norm at a concert.It's smart to know what's going on around you and want to protect people. That doesn't mean you have to dis like the person. I also don't think there should be an age cut off cause then what happens to friends and family that want to com see shows that aren't in highschool? Musicis music everyone gets to enjoy it.

Courtney said...

I can understand that this guy wanted to make a few friends. There isn't much social activity in Spokane other than shows like that and if he had gone to a bar or club, I'm sure he would have been even more scrutinized than at the concert. If I were at that show, I would feel a mixture of pity and nervousness toward that guy. I've been around the block once or twice and it's hard to trust new people--especially the male ones, but what other way are you going to make a couple friends?