Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Nothingness

Death. This is something that we all think about. Some believe that you go to heaven or hell. Others believe in reincarnation. Some believe that if they martyr themselves for their god, they will have fourty virgins waiting for them in paradise. You can never really know what happens until you die and can see for yourself. You have to just have faith and believe.

I, myself, don't have a solid opinion or belief. I have pondered the idea of nothingness, but that is quite honestly one of the hardest concepts I have tried to grasp. As humans we never really know what nothingness is. I immediately think of blackness, but that is still something. In nothingness, you would just cease to exist. You would have no more concious thought. It would be like an eternal, dreamless, sleep--or thats how I would imagine it.

My questions for you are 1) What do you believe, and 2) Do you think my interperetation of nothingness is accurate? If not, what do you think it would be like?

6 comments:

Tyler said...

Life after death is one of the deepest pondered questions by humanity. It is impossible to grasp this question or formulate an answer so i will offer my oppinion. I am a baptist, so my beliefs and ideas are mostly influenced from the bible. So, obviously i believe in the concept of heaven and hell. The biggest argument i have against those who don't believe in God is that if you don't believe in some omnipitant force then you are restricting us to a finite exsistence. In other words, if there isn't some greater power then there had to have been some point millions of years ago when all of this began right? There had to have been a beginning somewhere. How can this be though? How can there be absolutely nothing and then all of a sudden something appears and jump-starts this existance we live in today? From this view point i would label the people who come from a more science based view as irrational and believers as more common sense.

Shimjjang said...

Personally, my opinion is, when you die, your dead. That's it. There is no heaven, no hell, no reincarnation, no apocolyptic bursts of light...just dirt, black, and you are gone.
We are all organisms living on this earth with millions of other organisms who all die everyday. From what some religions tell us, going somewhere after death happens only to humans. (Which to me, is complete and total bull.)
You may consider me terrible for saying this because to be honest, you probably are too scared of death to think otherwise. Death scares people into believing such things as heaven and hell.
We live.
We die.
That's it.
I believe in science, not myth.

Margaret said...

I beleive in heaven and hell. It is somehting that i have struggled with many times. As humans it is in our nature to want to know for sure. But with death we are unable to know anything for certain. Like you stated, you have to have faith in whatever it is you may beleive.

Melissa said...

I also don't really have any type of founding religion in my life. I feel as though there is so many different perspectives on past events (our creation)and also the after life that it is hard to interpret truth from lies. I personally don't think there is much to us in the afterlife. Our bodies are nothing but a lump of physical mass that will eventually decompose but if we take into account of our souls and whether or not they really exist, that poses a whole other question as to what will happen to them.

Kelsey Donelson said...

I don't believe there's a Heaven or a Hell, but I'd like to believe that our souls are in some way recycled -- reincarnated into a new form, with the slate wiped clean, if you will. But between the time you die to the time your soul finds a new form, I haven't quite figured out...

Robin said...

I believe that we are reincarnated but are somehow still "us" deep within our soul.That we are reincarnated until we have learned everything we need to know and have the knowledge move on to a different realm.