Monday, March 16, 2009

Kid Crazy

Last week in class we discussed the "Octomom" and how horrible she is for being so selfish through her children. Until her story nobody ever lashed out about people in our society having too many kids. The TLC network seems to be going crazy over families with more then average amounts of kids. "John and Kate plus 8" is a very popular show. I myself watch it often. The kids are so cute and they make me laugh. John and Kate have one set of twins and a set of sextuplets. There are other shows on the same network like "17 Kids and Counting." This show is interesting to me as well though I'm not sure why. This family is slightly different than John and Kate because all of their kids were conceived and born naturally. I just saw a preview for a new show called "Table for 12." This show is supposed to be similar to John and Kate because they have two sets of twins and one set of sextuplets. I will probably check this show out as well. My question is, why does our culture love to watch families with tons of kids on reality shows. What makes it so interesting? Couldn't a normal family of five be interesting? As far as the "Octomom" goes, I think she is just producing kids to fill some weird void in her life. It's wrong because she doesn't provide a father figure for her children and she has extremely limited resources to financially provide for them. I don't think that the state should stop giving her money because it's not the children's fault that mom is so irresponsible. Maybe the state should take the children away? I'm not sure. Splitting them up probably isn't a good idea, and giving her more attention for her situation is exactly what she wants. I think shows like "John and Kate plus 8" are more acceptable because there are two parents and the families seem pretty stable.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

I think that the shows such as John and Kate are different from the octomom, mainly like you said. There are 2 parents and much more stable. The octomom upsets me very much. I do beleive that she acted selfish and was trying to fill a void. But like you said we can't punish the children, they are innocent in her ingnorance.

Nathan said...

I never understood the 'big family' concept, it seems like a lot of unnecessary stress to add to the complexities of being a well-adjusted family. Kids aren't cheap and when considering the fact that cost of living is perpetually rising along with school tuition down the road to be thinking about I don't know how anyone would want to add more burden to that.

In my opinion it is also somewhat irresponsible to have such a large family, given the real possibilities of overpopulation and the unsustainable nature of our current society it is a wonder to me why anyone would think it a good idea to raise 18 children. I think if you wanted a large family like that a better alternative would be to adopt children or to become involved in foster-care.

Derek Ellis said...

I watch these shows and I really wonder why people continue to have kids. I understand you know religion not allow you to use birth control, but come on. I do not think a vasectomy is all that blasphemous. I guess, as long as they are good parents, there is nothing to really gripe about.

Derek C said...

I believe that you should have kids if your sure that you can provide for them. I can say that I back abortion. This decision should be up to the parents of the child. If they somehow miraculously concieve then the decision should lie with them. I think that if parents cannot provide their children a safe environment and enough food, then the government should step in and take the child, not give them money.

Pat said...

Derek, what do you suggest we do with all the children that are taken away from their parents for being poor? Put them in the already overburdened foster care system where they will likely be physically and sexually abused? All the while paying their foster parents much more to take care of them than it would have cost to pay their own parents in food stamps.