Thursday, March 19, 2009

Should Religion Be Forced?

I grew up in a non-religious family. My mom and dad don't go to church but my dads side of the family is rediculous. They all go to church three or four days out of the week! I think there are so many things that they could be doing with their time. I could see once a week maybe, but the difference between them and me is I never had that forced upon me. My dad had it forced upon him and he moved out of the house at sixteen, that and other reasons. I feel that this is why so often you see pastor's son's and daughter's out getting into trouble. They are looking for a way to rebel against the parents that pushed religion down their throats. I am lucky that I never had it forced upon me. If people are going to find God they should make the journey on their own.

Is it right to force a religion on your child? If you knew that your child didn't want to believe should you still force them to go to chuch?

5 comments:

Tyler said...

Kids are going to rebel, that is just what we do. Parents "force" children into their religion because that is how they are happy living life and they want their children to experience that happiness as well. And i'm sure they would like there children to go to heaven instead of hell (probably a big part of it). I don't think religion should be forced but i understand why parents would want to introduce it to their children and guide them on that path.

Margaret said...

Well i never really thought i was forcing my relgion down my daughters throat. She is only 5 now, but when she is older i will have to let her make her own choices. I hope she makes the choices i would, not just on relgion, but on everything. I also know that will never happen. Children are going to rebel no matter what, you have kinda accept and perpare.

Derek Ellis said...

I think when religions is forced it loses any of it's ability to be deemed the truth. If a child grows up and all they know is this one thing, whether it is religion or not, that is all they are going to know. This is especially true if it forced and the child is not given the ability to grow at all.

Jessica said...

I don't think relgion should be shoved down anyone's throats, child or not. But when children grow up in a parent's home it is the parent's responsibility to raise them the best that they know how and for some people bringing their kids to church and introducing them to a faith that they love is the best way to do that. I do think after the child reaches adulthood or a maturity level where it isn't just because they are rebeling they should be able to choose for themselves whether they want to believe what their parents do or take their own path.

Robin said...

I don't think religion should ever be forced. I think it should be presented so that a child would want to learn about God. I remember Sunday School as being a really fun place I loved to go. My parents never made me go, but I always wanted to go. Because I would have fun and see friends I never saw at any other time. I also loved church camp.