Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Breastfeeding

Rep. Tami Green's proposal to make breast-feeding in public places a constitutionally protected civil right. House Bill 1596 passed the House on a 93-0 and has been sent to the Senate.Posted by Joe Turner.

This law has been sent to the Senate here in Washington State as of March 4th. But many people do not realize that until a law is in place a nursing mom can be discriminated against for nursing in public! It is not indecent exposure to nurse in public, but there are not any laws keeping businesses from kicking you out for feeding your baby, how do you feel about this?

2 comments:

jordanrichelle said...

It's funny, just the other day I was at the store shopping when a lady sat down on a bench, I noticed she had a baby in her lap so when I walked down that aisle I looked at the baby, then I realized the baby had a tattoo. This made me take a second glance and realize no, that was the mom's boob and she was nursing her child. I felt awkward because I didn't want her to think I was staring at her.

As far as indecent exposure? As long as they're making an effort to be modest about it, I'm fine. They should never be discriminated against and honestly, the people surrounding them would probably be much happier if the hungry baby quit crying than a minute or two of an exposed body part.

Jennifer said...

Breastfeeding is a very natural thing for mothers to do. Women should be able to do it in public, but I don't feel that they need to make a big production out of it. If they do it right most people wouldn't even know that is whats going on. I breastfed all four of my children and when I did it in public nobody knew thats what I was doing. I always had a blanket covering the baby and didn't let on that is what I was doing. In this situation even if someone thought thats what was going on they didn't stare or gawk and make comments about it. Babies need to eat and people just need to understand this.
I also agree with Jordan that the people around then would rather see that than have to listen to a baby screaming because they were hungry.