Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Movies

I love watching movies. I'm not exactly sure why either, but for some reason I am just hooked. Even if it's a movie that i have already seen ten times before, once that movie is started I can't pull myself away. I often wonder if I were to add up all the time i spend watching movies, how many days or months i have wasted sitting in front of a screen. However, there is so much more out there then just movies. There are TV regualar programs, video games, internet, and so many other sources of pointless entertainment . It is scary for me to imagine how much time I alone have wasted. Now, try imagining how much time the world as a whole has wasted. Wow!

Today's society has made it so easy for anyone to get lost in a world that doesn't exist. How many people play games like Sims? Where all they day is create a virtual world that can potentially take them away from reality. You personally might think these people are pathetic but ask yourself what it is that your doing when you watch some fictional television show or play a video game. Almost everyone participates in this virtual world that society has created one way or another. I know I do. It's so hard to pull yourself away from something so easy and most of the time quite fun. How far is this going to go in today's society? I see this as a problem but maybe I am wrong. Is this kind of entertainment harmless?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I do think this kind of entertainment can be harmful. Just look at all the obese adults and children in the world. I know that I can get lost in the world of internet. If people don't get physical activity then yes to much of this kind of entertainment can be harmful. In my house we set time limits to video games, watching t.v., and playing on the computer. This seems to help get everyone to do some physical activity. If you aren't just sitting then you are being active.

Hannah said...

I say "everything in moderation". I personally don't spend any of my time playing video games, computer games or chatting on-line. I get nothing out of it. Human contact is so important. People need social skills and I almost feel that spending too much time in a virtual world or by talking to someone over a screen can inhibit one's social growth. not to mention like Jennifer did the physical aspect of this. We can't let lazy be "OK". Parents need to teach their kids from an early age a healthy balance.