Sunday, March 1, 2009

99 cent rip-off


Now, I don't mean to be "that" person that continually talks about work... but seeing as I spend more time at work than anywhere else combined, it's only natural I pull a lot of my current life observations from the restaurant world. 99 cents. A bargain, nothing that's going to put a big dent in someone's wallet, is it something to cry over? At my restaurant, it costs 99 cents to top off a baked potato with butter, sour cream, bacon and cheese. One of my coworkers told his table this, they wanted it, and when the food was brought to the table the potato was beautifully topped off, everything was going well and then the check was dropped off....and all hell broke loose. This woman freaked out because she did not know it cost her 99 cents, to which he kindly reminded her he had warned her, and her reply was "I didn't understand you. Take it off; I'm not paying for it."

...Now maybe I've just been waiting on tables too long but does this irk anyone else? She ordered it; she ate all of it, and now she wants a refund. For 99 cents. Maybe it's wrong to assume something additional might cost something extra but if it were me, I would probably laugh off my 99 cent mistake and not order it next time if I was that tight for money.. But I could tell you stories about people and what they believe they "deserve" when they feel they are wronged in similar situations.

Is this right? Or should the woman have just taken responsibility and paid the additional dollar? I've had people eat a whole meal, decide at the end they didn't like it and then want it taken off their bill. Maybe I was raised goofy but if we didn't like the meal we ordered we just didn't order it next time. I don't know, is this just a silly rant or is there some underlying cultural theme?

5 comments:

Nathan said...

That doesn't really surprise me, if someone can sue a restaurant for its hot coffee when a customer spills it on themselves there is something inherently wrong with the system. How I view this is a fundamental lack of respect. In this situation the customer is acting entitled to an amount of control that they simply lack in the situation. That lady sounds unpleasant.

Jay said...

Honestly, if 99 cents is such an issue, she shouldn't be eating out in the first place. People can be so indecent.

Courtney said...

I agree with Nathan and Jay. Seriously, it's one dollar, she was warned, and of course something extra is going to cost more--nothing comes free.
I've had cutomers call and complain about the pizza that they got. We're VERY lax about making new pizzas and stuff as long as the old one is returned, but I'll have people that want a new pizza remade and future credit for the next time they get a pizza. I've had people call because they got a little too much sauce on their pizza. People are spoiled, and if they don't get their way, they freak out.

Brianna Hagestad said...

I could see asking for a charge to be removed from a bill if there was something wrong with the food, but there obviously wasn't. I used to work in fast food in high school and people would want to be compensated far beyond just returning their money if the order was wrong. I do not understand where the sense of entitlement comes from, mistakes happen and usually customers get their money back or the food replaced and that should be the end of the story.

Jessica said...

To be honest this just makes me shake my head. I don't think you were raised in a weird home Jordan. I was taught the same thing, if you chose something and didn't like it then that was something you learned, but you still paid for it. You were still responsible. This is just a lack of responsibility.
I would suppose that she is awfully spoiled. Jay is right, she shouldn't be eating out if .99 is that big of a deal. Why don't all these complainers just eat at home? Too lazy?