Monday, March 23, 2009

Heavy Metal in Baghdad

This morning I happen to stumble upon a random documentary in the eternal play list of channels that I am provided. This movie is Heavy Metal in Baghdad.

At first I was a little shy about clicking over to this movie, but without nothing else to watch I clicked my remote. Though I am not a follower of the metal genre I do appreciate the fact that it has some of the most mathematically and musically intensive styling of modern music.

During this documentary the band Acrassicauda is followed around. This is to date the only metal band to come from Iraq. The documentarians follow them around from the early days till they relocate to Syria to escape the fighting and pursue their dreams as Metal Heads.

I found this to be an interesting because not only are they the only metal band, but for a nation often believed to be quite conservative their were people who loved, not only the band, the entire metal genre.

So, does this interesting musical find, change your thoughts on the music scene of the Middle East?

No comments: