Monday, March 2, 2009

Volunteerism

I know that this was discussed on here broadly a few weeks ago, but I wanted to add a few things. The tricky part about trying to change things in the world is that it starts on a personal level with adding time in your life to think of others first and then find a program or project that you can contribute to on a regular basis, so that is becomes something that you look forward to. Hopefully, there will be people to connect to and that you enjoy spending time with them also, just another place to "hang out" and have fun! I organize, "boss" volunteers around at the soup kitchen I cook at every week and I enjoy all of them. They are from many different walks of life and our"customers" are primarily low income and homeless men and a few women. I encourage the volunteers to sit down and share a meal with our guests. Many times the volunteers strike up engaging conversations with their table mates. I feel privileged to be part of these peoples lives, I know that taking care of others is hard to schedule in to our busy lives, but it can be done. Here is one of the gentlemen that makes soup kitchen fun! This was actually taken at Shalom Ministries at Central Methodist Church in downtown Spokane.

2 comments:

Robin said...

That is such a good cause. You probably meet a lot of interesting people. Just because they're down on their luck doesn't mean that they don't have a story. I've often wanted to volunteer for meals on wheels for the elderly, but like you said I keep putting it off.

jordanrichelle said...

That's so sweet! I used to volunteer at a soup kitchen and it truely is amazing. The people there just need love, a kind ear to listen to them. Their stories are amazing when you take the time to listen to them. I really want to go back there again.