Friday, March 6, 2009

The New Kind of Dating

During show and tell today the topic of online dating was presented and I thought that it was extremely interesting. I think that it's crazy how popular online dating is. Yes, i do believe that it's true that some people do find the love of their life, but then I started wondering what ever happened to being patient and just waiting for that perfect person to come into their life. I think that people are so focused on trying not to be alone when really you should be fine being alone before creating a life with another person. Maybe this adds to why there are so many relational problems within our culture...

5 comments:

Kay Fort said...

Perhaps so..but sometimes people just really want to share their love and their live with someone, and often times a person is older and the feel their life is really empty and they don't go to bars, club, or church..so they go for the internet to find someone.

Derek Ellis said...

Somebody brought up the fact that some online dating sites are for those who have been previously married and do not feel the dating scene is for them anymore. Most of the people I have met that had success with these sites fit that build. They were part of a cluster of small towns but never went outside their own town to meet the neighbors.

Jessica said...

I see where you are coming from with everyone seeming to NEED to find that one right now. Why can't we be content with where we are in life? What is so wrong with being single? I think most of us would agree we hope to find that person that we share our lives with, but I do think we need to be patient in finding them and enjoy the phase of life we are in right now, which is easier said than done.
But online dating is just another way to meet people, I don't know if I would ever do it myself and I do think you have to be careful. But I do think it can work if done with caution and patience.

Brianna Hagestad said...

I have an aunt who uses online dating. She is about 50 and has been married before. Fits this mold that were talking about. She is a single mother of two and really does enjoy her life. I think everyone wants to share their life with someone special, and having children in her house makes this an easy way to meet people instead of leaving her kids at home to go out to the bar/club, any other place to potentially meet someone.

Jay said...

I've seen on sites like Myspace advertisements for dating sites that go down to age 13. This seems so outlandish to me. Some teenager thinks they need to find love through a dating site?