Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Numerals Used As Letters

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhn45yuR8AyXSbT838tdfe33zEvI37aqFFzYUCL66NmXjfq2oyPbpPs4g8fxDC5EiTGBS8HQatHVAlg_fyx36b607sfzCBZZDoWpVPQ_k9j96tAdY-8tBj6zgvgAyiKyNmHGe0NPa55DHw/s400/Nicolas+cage+knowing.jpg

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/7665/s3dvdad8.jpg


I don't know about you guys, but I have pretty much lived on the Internet since it came into being; learning all the new fads and whatnot after they, too, came into being. One of which, those in this interactive world call "1337," or "leet" speak, if you will. What it is, is substituting numbers for the letters they seem to look like.

What I have noticed in the past few years, is that a few TV show and movies have actually taken on this "language," if you want to call it anything. Couple of the ones that I remembered off the top of my head (and I'm sure there are more out there) is the TV show "NUMB3RS" and the movie that is either coming out in theaters soon or already has been and hasn't been out very long, "KNOW1NG." (links for picture reference)

I just wonder why you guys think they're doing this with the titles of their shows and movies? My thoughts are that they're trying to appeal to those who find their sole entertainment on their computers, that possibly would see this faint use of "1337" speak (laugh at it, like I did when I noticed these titles) and maybe would spark some interest, without any real background on the show or movie. What do you think?

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Cool topic. The earliest example I can think of is the 1995 movie Se7en.