Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Backgrounds

As many of you already know, because of my "show and Tell" that I am half Saudi Arabian. My mother is American and met my dad here in Spokane when he was attending EWU in the 80s. I was born in Spokane and have spent most of my life here. When i was five I lived in Saudi for a year and a half and again when i was 13 for two years. Though I have spent time over in the East I have always felt I am "all-American". I don't even speak Arabic (which now i regret because it's a beautiful and easy language to learn). People have always noticed that I might look a little different because of my natural tan or my facial features-I on the other hand never thought much of it. I've always felt like I fit in with my peers. When I see someone that has a similar background, as in they also have mixed parents, I immediately think that they were probably brought up with the parents values that is of another race. How stupid is that? I should be the first to know that it' s certainly not always the case! My quiestion to you is am I the only one being blind and somewhat ignorant in my thinking? Especially coming from someone that doesnt have parents from two different countries. Im interested to know what the reaction to people with foriegn parents is.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

I think that's something everyone tends to be guilty of. We like to categorize and summarize people in order to identify who they might be or what they are about, all of this in order to relate to them (if we should decide we like what we find). This can look like exploring another person over a good span of years in friendship or relationship as well as face-value ratings and judgments based on surface level observations (like physical characteristics, clothing, body language, etc.), with the latter of these often being more-so ill-informed.

But really, who has the time to get to know every single person's story? Sometimes we need simplistic criteria to base our limited or shallow interactions on.