Tuesday, March 3, 2009

They are back together?

I am sure most of you have seen the story in the news or in a magazine, singer Chris Brown is accused of beating singer Rihanna They have a court date sometime this month, so of course he is not guilty at this point. Since this is such a public case, and tabloids do tend to blow things way out of proportion, I take these stories with a grain of salt. I know a lot of what I see is fabricated, but police say that she did name Chris as the one who beat her up.
With all of that said, I saw today that they are back together. I am completely shocked!
I will never be able to comprehend why women go back to husbands/boyfriends who beat them, even if it happens just once. I guess I think she has more of a responsibility since she is a celebrity, to set a good example for women to not tolerate this behavior. Previously I had seen her as an independent strong woman, but this is certainly not the behavior of someone with those characteristics.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Having been someone who was in an abusive relationship myself, I will say it is not rational thought at the time all of that is happening. I cannot explain it and am thankful I got out and away, which is part of the key.

Danielle said...

Well, if the stories are true then I am deeply saddened for Rihanna. Both of them are amazing entertainers with their WHOLE career ahead of them. And I completely agree with you Brianna, I don’t understand why women stay (go back) with men like that. What is frustrating is the major coverage of this story, like she was the first woman to be physically abused; and now the tabloids are trying to make her a poster child for “powerful” women or something. The public and MEDIA don’t really know what went on that night or in their relationship period. All of this is speculation… even when more of the “truth” comes out we won’t ever know the whole story. Either way this is not over. Also, if you want to see the picture click here… TMZ was the FIRST to break the story and someone in the LAPD leaked this photo of her.
http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/22/rihanna-photo-face-beating/

jordanrichelle said...

Women are funny; some of the things I do I think afterwards "What...?". But I've found that what women want most out of a relationship is emotional security. The attention a man showers on her (whatever his own intentions may be) can be enough to make a woman's heart to soar. To feel loved gives women a type of security; like the world is okay afterall.

There is also this part of us that wants to "fix" our man, believe in the greater good and see something no one else can. We want to help turn him around and help bring him to his feet. In doing so they'll be forever grateful and will show it, emotionally sercuring us. Women want to be the one that changes their man, sometimes it happens, other times it doesn't. We can only hope Rihanna is one of those to help turn her man around and if it doesn't happen, she turns and walks away before she's in too deep.

Sarah said...

Jordan, I think you said that perfectly! As much as I hate to think that about women, it's pretty true. I hope, however, that this story isn't true. If it is, that will be career ending for Chris Brown and he's got a lot of life left ahead of him that he may have just screwed up. If Rihanna does go back to him, it could really be career ending for her too. She's been seen as this strong woman, but going back? if it happens again? I don't know...