Saturday, February 21, 2009

Steroids in Baseball

What is going on with the steroids scandal? It will not go away. Players are being drug through the mud for mistakes made years ago and some are getting in trouble for lying under oath to Congress. It is good to know Congress has so little to worry about that they will dedicate so much time to the sport of baseball. I understand using steroids is bad and the players were not supposed to use them. Lets be honest, though, players like Alex Rodriquez were rewarded for their usage. They received enormous salaries and brought in a large number of fans due to all the records being broken. If baseball was truly interested in banning steroids why didn't they start testing long before Congress began investigating the scandal?

2 comments:

Derek C said...

If you could make it pro by taking steroids, would you do it? I know I sure would. I think almost every average athlete would agree with me on this one. I think people in general are out to look after number one. If it means getting a little unfair advantage then so be it. As the saying goes, well maybe just my saying, "If you aint cheating you aint trying hard enough." I don't think steroids is as big a deal as they make it out to be.

Derek Ellis said...

Actually Congress started investigating after the first initial testing for steroids. The reason A-Rod wasn't prosecuted at first, or any of the other 5% of players in 2003, was because it was a trial to see if it would impact baseball to a large degree.
I think a quote from Stephen Colbert is important here. "Don't think of steroids as performance enhancers, but entertainment enhancers".