Monday, February 16, 2009

Looking hot but feeling cold

It's cold outside, we all know that, we feel it every time we walk out the door to scrape our car's windows in the morning. So cold that sometimes it feels as though the snot crunches when you scrunch your nose in distaste of the temperature.

Yet why is it that when I go to school, I see women walking into class wearing next to damn nothing when it could be near freezing or below outside?

Seems to me they are more concerned with how they look rather than how warm they could be.
Just waltz outside with your short-shorts, knee-high boots, and turtle-neck (which seems to be the only thing of weather protective quality) cause warm, puffy jackets are so last season anyways.

Is it because this country is so obsessed with looks and outside appearance that people (especially women) would sacrifice their health, comfort, and well-being just so that they can look good?

I am sorry but I would pressume that a person's health is a lot more important than how they look when they walk into school in the morning. To be honest, I don't think anyone cares how you look, it's cold, your allowed to look a little frumpy.

There are also beautiful winter jackets being sold everywhere so you don't have to look like the latest hiker off of "Everest Summit". You can be fashionable and warm as a Florida summer at the same time.

Sounds like a plan to me.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

The women I see running all over town with flip-flops on and no socks, also makes want to add an extra layer of clothing to myself just looking at them, drives me nuts. My 13 year-old daughter tries to get away with that, but then mom's complaining and the cold weather combined makes her give in to reason!

Courtney said...

Yeah I see girls out there with their cute little sweater dresses (that barely cover their butts), leggings, and fashionable boots. At first I'm like, that girl looks cute. I want to look that cute. Then i look at the snow on the ground and remember that I am the sane one in this senario.

On the other hand, when you go out on a date, I see no reason why something like that couldn't be worn. I just recently celebrated an anniversary and wore a dress to the restaraunt, but as for walking around campus every day, I'll take jeans and a sweatshirt, thanks.

Kay Fort said...

I really don't get why some girls think that wearing certain kind of clothing makes them look sexier...don't get me wrong, I like wearing cute tight shirts every now and again but still, I’ve heard some guys say they like it when they can't lots of the girls skins. Yet, (some, not all...)girls(at least the other girls I’ve talked to think this..) think it's really sexy to wear that kind of stuff(the t-shirts that leave hardly anything to the imagination I mean)..Why do some think that in order to look sexy they must show lots skin? Again, don't get me wrong, I’m not saying these women are bad...I’m just wondering why some think the way they think...Is this something media has taught us?

Danielle said...

Funny thing about your post is that I felt like Spokane was quite MODEST compared to Seattle. Which (depending on where you are at) is a large melting pot of blonde chicks, plastic tans, fake breasts and dudes who wear too much cologne. Don’t get me wrong, I totally get where you’re coming from. I see the few girls who wear clothing like its 80 degrees out, but to me Spokane is VERY mild from what I’m used to. Plus, when they where those cute leggings and long sweater-dresses I think they are protesting the weather… I say more power to them. If you want to freeze your butt off to look cute at SCHOOL then do it!

missaligirl said...

Im protesting the weather, but not to look cute. Every time it snows I'm in denial. Usually I like the winter, but after December's snow storm, I dont want to see it anymore. Leggings and sweater dresses aren't for me, but I'm sick of getting bundled up to go to school. Seeing other girls look cute does influence me to go shopping and try to look cute like them. It's kinda crazy how much we are all influenced by people we don't even know.