Monday, February 16, 2009

A place for friends?


In a world of Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, instant messaging, email, texting and the like, we have this inane desire to constantly stay connected with the rest of the world. But I feel that even with all this cyber connectivity, there is a stronger social disconnect between people. It seems that we have replaced talking on the phone with texting, communicating face-to-face with the ease of email. I definitely don't claim to be an exception to this, I have a Myspace and Facebook account and use them regularly, but I try my best to use them less and less and call a friend instead of leaving a comment.

Does anyone else feel this way?

3 comments:

Nathan said...

I would definitely agree with your assessment. Though I completely admit my own guilt to this system there are certainly times when I feel completely cut off while I'm talking to friends through those mediums. I have been on a media fast for the last few weeks (ending next weekend) and it has been interesting finding ways of communication outside of the conventions I had used prior (i.e. Facebook, e-mail, texting), however I feel that the ways in which I relate to people outside of those forms is dramatically improved.

If I remember correctly something like 90% of communication is non-verbal, which would definitely make or break a conversation based on exposure to all of what a person is saying beyond their words.

Margaret said...

I am also guilty of this. Sometimes it is alot easier to send a text, email or comment on someones page. In this fast pace world we live in sometimes we don't have time to pick up a phone. We need to still make time though. It's proven that we need social interaction not just an instant message.

missaligirl said...

I think people are living in a fast pace world that is only going to get faster. I really wish I had time to stay in touch with all of the people I have be-friended in my life but that is impossible. It's nice to have a database of them all on a myspace. That way any time you need to get in touch, you know where to find them. It is sad though, that personnal communication has been reduced to words and pictures.