Wednesday, February 11, 2009

NFL.com

Watching football is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend. I've had to laugh the last couple of years over the advertisements put out for products sold on NFL.com. It seems to me a good fan used to have a team sweatshirt or some type of team clothing item. That was sufficient. Now, however, a fan needs to dedicate an entire room to their chosen team. There is a commercial out that shows a whole room done in Steelers items, but the lamp on the end table doesn't fit the decor. The commercial offers a quick solution: NFL.com. At this site, the consumer will find everything they don't need. Does anybody really want an entire room of their home dedicated to a football team? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2K4qlyaJu8&NR=1

2 comments:

Kay Fort said...

I guess it's sort of the patortic thing, you are only patrotic if..you have a american flag some where inside your house..complex..since the tv tells them they are more "loyal" if they do a(a being whatever they tell you to do.). I have heard of some people who are so deciated to their football/basketball/baseball team that they have in entrie room for it. Their is also a lot of tv shows based on people who love it so much that if their kid happens to get some football gear of the wrong team, they get angry.

Jessica said...

While I would never ever want a whole room dedicated to a sports team, I can understand some people that do love their teams and want to represent their love for them in their home. I don't see a huge problem with people who want more than just apparel to wear. I am guilty of purchasing lamps, clocks, even xbox covers of my brother's favorite teams for presents. I guess there is some pride felt when visual representation of something you love is able to be shared with others.I buy my brother Green Bay Packer gear and he buys me black and white photos. We both love to decorate in a certain style, they are just completely opposite. But on the flip side, maybe this is just another example of Americans thinking they "need" these things. Another example of American's believing they will feel better, and people will like them more if they have these things in their house, or as Kay said they are some way more loyal to that team. It could be another example of overspending and endulging in unnecessary items. But all of us are guilty of that, this sports team decorating is just one example of that. Thanks for your blog. :)