Thursday, February 12, 2009

Logic

I've been taking Intro To Logic this quarter and it's given me a bit of insight about the culture we live in. One of the things that really got me thinking was the Fallacy of False Cause, False Cause being when one mistakes what is not the cause of a given effect for it's real cause. It seems to me that lots of this do this from time to time (not excluding myself) I'll see something and think "this must be why!" but how do I really know? For example, sometimes my dogs will come pester me while I'm at the computer at about 5:00 pm, i usually think they want outside or want something to eat..but how do i really know what they want? How does anyone really know anything at all outside of our 5 senses and our "innate" knowledge?
What if were all wrong about all sorts of things..maybe we commit false cause on a bigger scale then we think we do!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

This is a sort of uncomfortable one, because I think a cultural-studies analysis often asks us to engaged in some reasoned speculation about possible causes for things that we see. For example, stemming from today's discussion, it seems very plausible that technology (like Guitar Hero) has had the effect of diminishing people's interest in serious study of the arts (like the guitar), but that would be difficult to prove. It's also possible that it has caused lots more people to engage in the study of the guitar. I think that a good response to this difficulty involves (a) acknowledging both possibilities, even if we find one of them more persuasive, and (b) remaining self-conscious about the limitations of our analysis.