Monday, February 2, 2009

The Emo Scene


Emo. There is a lot to say about emo. This is a very accurate picture of emo. What does it mean? Well "emo" supposedly stands for "emotional"-so that right there tips you off. Basically, what I've gathered, is this:
Sadness/Depression-The stereotypical emo kid will cut themselves.
"Originality"-I put this is quotes because this is the new fad and it is anything but original anymore. Their clothes are pretty out there, they have different haircuts than what one might categorize as "normal" etc.
Make-up-and lots of it.
Piercings-the lip, nose, eyeborow, monroe-anything considered to be "non-conforming".
Often they consider themselves "straight-edge" (no drugs, alcohol.. that sort of thing).
Why is it just so cool to be sad and rebellious all the time? All the sudden it's cool to not fit in and hate the jocks and cheerleaders rather than putting them on a pedistal. It's cool to have problems and go to shrinks and need anti-depressants. Why do people feel the need to hate life? Honestly, I don't understand why this sudden change has occured--although I suppose it isn't sudden. You could compare emo to goth fairly easily. Obviously I'm just generalizing. This video comes to mind as well (Before you watch this video keep in mind that it is pretty offensive at some parts, and I'm sorry about that, but it does make my point):
So what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Shimjjang said...

I found your post on the new "emo" craze to be funny and inlightening at the same time.
I have been so-called "friends" with the emo's at my high school, and I must say, many aren't sad, depressed, or mentally blocked from life. Not saying that others aren't, but those emo's that I have met have been kind, open, and only wanting to distinguish themselves from the norm. (Though by fading into a fad themselves they have contradicted their point.)

Derek Ellis said...

I am going to have to say, no. You have completely missed the mark with Emo kids. Emo kids think they are completely unique but are by far the least unique and most cliquey of all the groups (ok, you were slightly right). The Emo fad is by far ridiculous and based not entirely on style but music. I think the reading by Klosterman covers my opinion on that.
A song by a band called Say Anything actually captures the Emo mood more and it is titled... Admit It!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DTfbIRAH-A

Derek C said...

I thought that this was hilarious! The video completely captured my mental picture of emo. Even though i know that most aren't like that. I thought it was really funny how we were talking about guys making out in class the other day. I dont remember who, but someone said in class the other day that guys dont want to kiss other guys because they don't feel comfortable with their sexuality. I have never once questioned my sexuality, but i still don't feel at all like exploring.