Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I am thankful for my job

I am guilty of playing hooky from work in the past and even saying "I hate my job" and things of that nature. Today I am very thankful for my job. Well not just today, but with the way the economy is going it really makes me appreciate my position. Everywhere I look I see this company laid off another 2,000 or 15,000 employees, or another news story about unemployment at it's highest since 19__. For example, today on Krem.com there are two separate stories related to this issue.
http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2-020309-pawnshops.15497a86.html
http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2-020309-worksource.159e4320.html
These are just two examples from our local news station, take a look at cnn.com or other nation wide news companies, you will see hundreds.
I have been pushing the issue aside for the last few months and I guess what really made this whole thing real for me is when some of my friends are out of work and can't support themselves or their families. This is when it really started to hit home for me at least.

4 comments:

Meagan Helean said...

I think it's very important to be thankful for your job not only now, but all the time. Even if you don't like it at least you have it because there are so many people in our world that are without the opportunity for work. I think that it's kind of sad that it takes something big like this to evoke thankfulness something we should have always been thankful for...

Brianna Hagestad said...

I believe you have missed my point Megan. I was targeting the current economy and how much gratitude I have for my position. It has really hit close to home to see friends dealing with this and images of thousands of people lined up around Qwest Field Stadium for a job fair, only to be disappointed with the meager number of employers hiring. I most certainly am thankful to have a good job with a wonderful company, but just really wanted to point out my appreciation.

Jennifer Fletcher said...

The current job market is really scary. To make it even worse, no one knows how long this downward spiral is going to last.

Lynn said...

I lost my job in November when the restaurant I had worked at for 2 years closed it's doors after being opened for 25 years. I was already working minimally, but many of my co-workers are still looking for work.