Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our Clothes

You can tell a lot about people by how they look. It is interesting to me when people say "what counts is on the inside". I do believe this to an extent, but that doesn't mean people don't dress the part they play--or want to play (which also says something about their personality--they don't like who they are). I see people who want to be pretty, people who want to be punky/emo/edgy, people who like football, and people who like skateboarding. I see people who care what others think, and people who don't. I see people who are confident in themselves and people who aren't. I see people who know exactly who they are, and people who don't. I see the cheerleaders, band "geeks", jocks, and "nerds", those who strive to be successful, and those who are along for the ride. I see all these things every day--and that's just in our class. It may sound like I'm stereotyping, and I guess I am. Don't get me wrong, I don't really prejudge so much as observe. I just thought it was an interesting little tidbit.

2 comments:

Meagan Helean said...

I totally agree with you. It's very interesting to observe all the different types of people we are surrounded by each day. And yes it is true that what is on the inside is what truly matters, but I think the outside does count too. Not in the sense that you're better because you where a certain brand or dress a certain way, but it matters because it's one of the many things that defines who you are...it makes a statement.

Jay said...

I agree as well. What people wear shows how they want people to perceive them. I try not to judge people by that, but there is situations, of course, where a certain kind of dress is expected, such as work. If someone comes off as they don't care (which could be fine for school), people might see them as unprofessional.