Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Business of Being Born

I watched the movie "The Business of Being Born" this morning and it made me reflect upon many things about my three deliveries. Besides my own deliveries I also have been blessed with the privilege of witnessing and assisting in two other deliveries, but all of my experiences were in hospitals. The movie made me angry with the medical system in the U.S. related to pregnancy and delivery.
The questions it brought up were:
  • Why do we always have babies in hospitals?
  • Why do insurance companies have problems paying for home deliveries, when the cost is so much less?
  • When, in our society, did we decide that deliveries in hospitals were always safer?




3 comments:

Meagan Helean said...

This sounds like an interesting movie and it looks like it raises some good questions. I've never really thought about any of those questions because it's just what you do and what happens. I think that sometimes we fall into doing things just because that's what we are used to and we end up not even thinking about what we are doing.

Brianna Hagestad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brianna Hagestad said...

Personally I would never consider at home delivery when I have a baby, just because I am already terrified by the thought. But the question about insurance companies is interesting and got me thinking. I work for an insurance company, we do not sell medical insurance, but I think one reason may be if the insurance company urges mothers to deliver at home that would really open up the insurance company to all types of lawsuits if there is complications that could have been prevented by a hospital delivery. And even if the insurance company doesn't say they prefer home delivery, people will inevitably sue.