Monday, January 26, 2009

The Counter Post


From our discussion today I believe the better example would be Christina Aguilera instead of Demi Moore. Britney and Christina danced and sang on the Mickey Mouse Club and later became worldwide “celeb-poptarts” in the late 90’s (and present). Both created controversy with outfit choices and music selection. I’m sure no one will forget Christina’s second album and vamped up look as “X-Tina”. Or Britney’s VMA outfit and romp on stage with a yellow snake. Besides having Platinum selling albums, blonde hair and constant cleavage that is about where their similarities end. My point is, when Christina got married and had her son Max, she changed her priorities. In fact, she reinvented herself much like Madonna. She changed her clothes, hair color and even make up, to a more retro 40s glam. Her music also changed. She co-wrote many of her songs and the album itself was a throwback to the 30s and 40s. You did not see her going out with Paris Hilton sans undies while having two small children at home. You did not see her shave her head and end up in rehab. You did not hear about Christina’s husband making a rap album and staying out partying till the wee hours. Christina has evolved into a sexy, mature wife and mother. She, unlike some celebrities, put her family first and her career second. I’m not saying that Britney neglected her children (completely), but losing custody of your children and your estate is not every parents dream. I am not dismissing the fact Britney’s life choices have been exploited, but she did make them.

2 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meagan Helean said...

I would just like to say that I understand what you are saying and the point that you are trying to make. However, I do believe that at a certain point Britney wasn't able to think clearly or make well-informed life decisions. I think that with being under all the pressure we as people put her under and having expectations that a normal person wouldn't be able to meet it messed with her and caused her to lose sight of where her life was going. Yeah I get your comparison, but some people can handle more than others and obviously Britney isn't one of those people. What I want to say is no it's not all our fault for the way she is and what she's been through, but I do believe that the majority of it is...we have sent her a lot of confusing messages and I think any person would be confused and less able to make good decisions after dealing with celebrity life from the age of 16. (and may I add this is a crucial age...an age where you need to be pointed in the right direction or else consequences will follow)